Man arrested in Sandusky River

PHOTO BY JILL GOSCHE Law enforcement officers escort Sean T. Jackson from the Sandusky River Wednesday morning.

FORT SENECA — A Tiffin man was arrested in the Sandusky River after an accident in Fort Seneca Wednesday morning.

Sean T. Jackson, 51, was being charged with operating a vehicle while intoxicated, failure to control, hit-skip, possession of marijuana and marijuana paraphernalia, according to the Fremont post of State Highway Patrol.

Jackson’s 2001 Dodge Intrepid wrecked into a cornfield at SR 53 and TR 152.

Trooper Don Pratt said the incident was reported as reckless operation and a possible OVI situation. He tried to catch up with the vehicle and said it wrecked about a minute before he arrived.

Pratt said a construction worker first saw the vehicle on SR 635 where paving work is being done, and the worker, on the phone with State Highway Patrol, followed the vehicle to the spot where it wrecked.

PHOTO BY JILL GOSCHE A 2001 Dodge Intrepid is parked in a cornfield at SR 53 and TR 152 Wednesday morning.

Pratt said that when he arrived, people thought Jackson still was in the vehicle, but had left it.

Sgt. Matt Davis said Jackson had gone east through a ball diamond toward the river, and a law enforcement officer saw him standing in the river.

Deputy Mark Lawson of Seneca County Sheriff’s Office said Jackson was half in the river, half on shore when he found him. He said Jackson told him, “I’m your guy.”

Davis said Jackson has two prior OVI convictions in the past 10 years. Jackson was “extremely impaired” and needed assistance standing, he said.

Marijuana and paraphernalia were found in the center counsel of his vehicle, Davis said.

North Central EMS and Old Fort Volunteer Fire Department personnel responded to P.M. Gillmor Community Park once Jackson was in custody. A State Highway Patrol airplane and a canine officer from Fostoria Police Department had been summoned to assist.

Seneca County Sheriff’s Office also assisted at the scene.

Deputy Denny Wilkinson of Seneca County Sheriff’s Office said he and Old Fort Volunteer Fire Department Chief Craig Mellott just had finished an evacuation drill at Old Fort High School when the accident unfolded.

Erica Cobb, 7-12 principal, said that in response to the incident near Fort Seneca, the school went into a “safety check,” which involves keeping students in the classroom.